Sunday, May 13, 2007

Matters of the Heart

Last night I was unable to sleep from 2-4, due to some crazy heartburn that wouldn't go away unless I sat up. I even drove to a gas station and got Tums, four of which I swallowed quickly. But they didn't do much. So I fell asleep in a semi-reclining (and only semi-comfortable) position. Phill gave me a most wonderful Mother's Day gift, though, in keeping the boys entertained this morning while I slept deeply until 11. Nevertheless, I was still feeling quite frustrated by being pregnant, and prone to complaining.

Then I checked my email. Less than three months ago, one of my cousins died in a motorcycle crash, leaving behind his wife and seven children. Well, yesterday morning, one of his sons died of a brain aneurysm. So his wife has lost her husband and one son in less than three months.

I need to say that I am grateful for my husband and my children, including the one in utero, and I am grateful for the ability to carry a child, even when the pregnancy can prompt one to complain....I'm blessed, and I have very little that justifies complaint. I don't want to take things for granted when they should be seen as blessings--pregnancy, loved ones, whatever it may be....I'm sure that because I'm human, I'll be back to my old complaining self in no time. But I'll be very much remiss if I don't make a note of how grateful I am to have what I have.

No comments: