Monday, December 3, 2007

Happy Late Thanksgiving? Happy December? Oh, who cares? Happy!



What better way to kick off December and the Christmas season than with a very late post about Thanksgiving? :) I'm ridiculously pleased with the outcome of our Thanksgiving dinner! I think I cooked more yesterday than I have collectively in the last six years of our marriage. Phill said now that the secret's out (that I can cook and bake), I'll have to keep doing it. Hahhahha....sort of funny, but very true. I made my Mom's pumpkin pie, and it was to-die-for. I felt like I've been craving it for years, and store-bought pumpkin pies just pale in comparison. (Actually, they really are paler in comparison. Hm.) I also made Paula Deen's Crunch-Top Apple Pie which was soooooo good. It lasted about 24 hours. (And that was 95% courtesy of the eating skills of Phill.) We stuffed the turkey with an apple, half an onion, some white wine vinegar, and water, and then rubbed the skin over and under with brown sugar and cinnamon. It was delicious! Our friends the Darringtons made the potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and green bean casserole. There was a little half-disaster with the rolls not rising like they needed to, and being a tiny bit burnt on the bottom, and I forgot to put tinfoil on the outsides of the pie crusts. But other than that, it was a success! The saddest thing was that our friends the Davies family couldn't make it. Camilla, you ought to know that you were on my mind the whole time--yes, the whole time--and you and yours were sorely missed.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Mmmm...it all sounds delish. Espesh that apple pie!

Abby said...

Mmmm. Yummy. Makes me want to have Thanksgiving Dinner all over again. I love the food pictures! :)

MariePhotographie said...

Wow! Those pictures look like they came straight from a magazine! I'm so impressed that you made all that for your dinner and even more impressed that you had fun doing it! I need to change my attitude. I'm dreading the day when I'm in charge of Thanksgiving dinner. :) Oh, and email me your address and I would love to send you a Christmas card!

Anna said...

Rae it sounds awesome!! I like the way you did your turkey, sounds really yummy.