Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Before & After: Jaxon's "New" Dresser

Quite a while ago (January? I don't know), I bought a dresser for Jax. It was from someone on Craigslist, and I paid too much for it. ($20? $30?) It was a particle-board MDF something-weird concoction, already a little bit falling apart. But he had no dresser at all, and definitely needed one. So we bought it, and thought we'd just get a brand-new one when the time came. Over time, it just fell apart, until this is what was left:Note: That bottom drawer is pushed in about as far as it will go. And yes, there really are only two drawers left of the shoddy four we started with.

Unfortunately, good-quality brand-new dressers cost LOTS, and I didn't want to pay LOTS.

I began to hunt at various thrift stores, and wished we had American Fork's D.I. here, as it is STOCKED with potential treasure. However, on my FIRST visit to our own D.I., I found not only one dresser (NOT made of "pretend" wood), but TWO--for $55. Total. Then I waited patiently to have the time, resources, and weather to work on them. (I was not about to be painting a dresser in a 115-degree garage.) So. Jaxon's is done! Savanna's will have to wait a bit longer. Without further ado:Seventies charm, I suppose? Someone loved the sunburst drawer handles and pretend wood grain....once....a long time ago....maybe.
I got a little worried when I noticed that a cross-support was missing from underneath one of the drawers, but I brought one of the intact cross-support pieces to Home Depot, batted my eyelashes, and said, "Can you cut out nine of these for me?" And they did! So I have eight extra....just in case. (I didn't ask for more just to torture the poor Home Depot employee who spent forty minutes cutting these out....I really thought I might need to replace all of them.)
And the glorious AFTER:
Still a little nicked here and there, but in my opinion, worlds away from what I started with. I was thinking about a cooler-toned brown, or a darker brown, but....I think I like this one. I think we'll keep it. And now Jaxon has NINE drawers in which to distribute his Nemo underwear and Spiderman shirts. Ah, sweet relief.
Project Expenses:
Dresser - $27.50

Borrowed electric sander - FREE (thank you, Bishop)

A pint of paint - $8.00

Paintbrush - $2.50
Sandpaper - $3.00
Drawer knobs - $12.00

9 "fresh" cross-supports - $6.60

Total: $59.60


Not bad for a fully-functional 9-drawer dresser!

7 comments:

leslie the licorice stick lady said...

Very impressive. It looks fabulous. :)

Abby Hanson said...

Wow! That is awesome. When I saw the before pictures my first thought was, "Oooh. That's gross. Definitely DI." But I've "mended all my ways, repented, seen the light and made a switch, true - yes!" :D

That. looks. FABULOUS. And I thought $299 for a "good wood" dresser was a pretty good deal. I'll take $60 instead! What kind of paint did you use?

I want a dresser about that size for my bedroom and that looks like SO much fun. I want to paint and pick knobs and bat eyelashes.

Andrea said...

Very nice. It looks much better!

MAG of Marie Photographie said...

I loved the "batted my eyelashes" line. I can so see you doing that and getting results! haha

And I LOVE*** the dresser. I'm beyond impressed with the transformation from start to finish.

Lara said...

Looks fabulous! I love redoing thrift store furniture, and I am beyond bugged that our thrift store here has NOTHING. Absolutely nothing worth refinishing.

But, I still have a couple projects in the works from Cedar City because I never got around to them. You inspire me to get off my duff and refinish already.

The Leishman's said...

Rae- Your amazing! Seriously amazing!!!!

Qait said...

Perfect! I'm totally jealous. ;)