Monday, June 1, 2009

Make your cake and eat it, too!

For Savanna's birthday yesterday, I made one large cake and one Savvy-sized cake. I used my favorite recipe from my friend Heidi--and let me tell you. It's addictive. I wanted to see if I could do a little bit of nutritious substitution to lessen my guilt in devouring it piece by piece each day. (And sometimes two pieces in one sitting. It's GOOD.)

Mojo’s Birth Day Cake

["Mojo" being the darling unisex name of their in-utero baby, since they wanted to keep the sex a secret. This cake was to celebrate his birth. Darling, no?]


4 eggs
2 c. sour cream (Here I used 2 C of vanilla yogurt, because Phill needed the sour cream for the enchiladas. I'd use plain next time, but it worked beautifully. We like Mountain High all-natural.)
3/4 c. oil (This is where I was hoping a substitution would be successful. 1/2 C carrot puree worked perfectly.)
1 devil’s food cake mix
1 sm. pkg. instant pudding mix
1 cup chocolate chips (We like semi-sweet mini chips.)
1 1/3 c. water (Only needed 1 C with the substitutions.)

Mix together; pour into bundt pan; bake at 350 degrees for 45-65 min. or until done. (Ours took 60 minutes.)



4 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you like it and even happier you can fiddle with it to make it healthier!

I first tried this cake at the baby shower for Bennett's NICU nurse - it was amazing and the hostess sent me the recipe. The water in that version was Kahlua. He, he... whoops! :)

We've also tried using hot chocolate instead of the water. Because you can never have enough chocolate, right? Though I'm sad we can't use this recipe for Joseph's first birthday cake, all that dairy & eggs!

Happy Birthday to your darling girl!

Abby said...

I was intending to try this one for Esther's birthday or a possible non-dairy version of it, but in the end it all seemed like to much work for today. So cupcakes it was. They are frosted and ready for tomorrow. I stacked them in a pyramid and sprinkled them with multi-colored sprinkles and added some gummi bears around each tier for fun. Then I have a "3" candle. I think it'll do just fine. :) Maybe I'll be more ambitious for Heidi & Autumn's birthdays. I'll have to be because they're old enough that they always have special requests...Esther still seems to not really understand what's coming tomorrow.

I'm excited to try this recipe one day and with all your substitutions. You used whipped frosting from the store right?

Kate said...

Sounds very yummy. I will have to try it.

Michael and Bonnie said...

mmmm, sounds good. Would it work as cupcakes too? Happy Birthday Savanna!