Monday, October 29, 2007

Sheepish Morning


This morning, as I was getting Jaxon and Savanna out of the car to go into the gym for (my) Pilates class, Reed already started running towards the gym door. I called to him to wait, and so he came back to the car. I asked him why he was trying to get into the gym so fast, and caught only the end of his sentence, "...shoes." I looked at him, then down at his feet--yep, his feet. No shoes. No socks. (And I thought I was on time. Ha....) So I piled all of us back into the car (1-5 minutes) to go back home (seven minutes), pick up his shoes (30 seconds), and come back (seven minutes). I also called the gym daycare to let them know we'd be at least 15 minutes and 30 seconds late. :)
There's a newly paved road near our house, a road that carves its way through a few hills and next to one isolated neighborhood. Well, I got on that road and was making pretty good time, considering it has no set speed limit (yet). I rounded a curve and several feet ahead were several feet of several sheep. A nice herd of sheep with one cowboy-hatted-horse-riding man (and his dog) rounding them up. And although they weren't crossing yet, they were close enough that I had to slow down quite a bit to pass. So it was more like ten minutes home, which is fine, because I had to laugh at the sheep instead of being annoyed by Reed forgetting his shoes, and the boys were delighted. Reed kept saying, "Mom, there's black sheep! Black sheep!" (Apparently this concept was completely new and exciting.)
The way back was about the same, except that the sheep had made it across and were mostly out of the way. And rounding them up in the rear was a man on a horse, with a cowboy hat and--guess!--a cellphone, from which he was texting. To who, I don't know. The herder in the front? "Dude, this herding thing is sooooo cool. Will you be my BFF? JK. LOL." What do sheep herders text? I can think of a million bad jokes. Baaaad jokes. (Couldn't resist.)
*Source of cartoon sheep: www.bluebison.net

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Packing up three kids to go to pilates? You are my hero!

Rae said...

:) I lucked out when a friend moved and turned her membership over to me--for just the transfer fee. And daycare was included in her membership....so I definitely realize how lucky I am to have that--and I try to make sure I make good use of it!

camilla said...

going to pilates. i totally dislike you. Gotta love cedar. sheep herders. what the heck? in thatcher it's tractors going down the road that slow you down. everytime i visit, i get stuck behind at least one tractor! honestly amigo.

camilla said...

By the way, if you are craving a cobb salad, hooters has the best cobb salad ever. and since u r nursing, you would totally fit in. hahaha.

Anna said...

Sounds like a fun morning! Are you taking pilates or are you teaching it?

Rae said...

I'm taking it and subbing occasionally. :) The teacher also owns her own studio, so sometimes I get to use her machines! It's awesome. (She's training me to become certified so I can teach with her.)