Monday, July 2, 2007

Why can't everyone be nice?

Telling Reed that there are dangers in the world is one of the hardest parts of being a mother. I hate--hate--to have to tell him sometimes that things that seem okay really aren't okay. He was shocked when I told him once that there are dangerous strangers who might tell you their puppy ran away, just to get you to go with them. I felt like I was mean for telling him that! But I know I have to protect him. He certainly has that 4-year-old trademark lack of friendship boundaries. He wants everyone to be his friend! He can't imagine why there would be those who act like friends in order to hurt someone. I feel almost like I'm putting out some spark in him by teaching him that not all people are deserving of his friendship. I'm not depressed today about this, just....pensive. And perhaps a little melancholy. I found a book on Amazon.com, in my efforts to find something to help me teach him, and the title almost made me cry:

2 comments:

Abby said...

Are you getting the book? If you do, let me know how it is. I've talked to Autumn about that some but not much to Heidi and they could both use some reminders. Maybe I can find that book or something similar at the library.

Kaysha Alesa said...

I have this same book.. I also have another called "The Right Touch".. I think they are both cute, but honestly they are not my kids favorite's.. who can blame them? Awesome teaching experience though.:)